Company informationSeptember 24, 2021
We are bringing together the brightest minds to reimagine pharmacy management, providing the same care we would want for our loved ones
Prime at a Glance
For more than 20 years, Prime Therapeutics (Prime) has been making health care work better by helping millions of people get the medicine they need to feel better and live well.
Formed in 1998 by two Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans, Prime has grown steadily to become the partner of choice for 19 Blue Plan owner clients. This unique ownership structure means Prime is committed to the health of its members, the more than 92 million people we serve through health plans, employers, government programs (i.e., Medicare and Medicaid), TPAs and more.
We know there is true power in those who are passionate about evolving and improving the health care experience. With our acquisition of Magellan Rx, we are bringing together some of the brightest minds in the industry — visionaries with the skills and passion to push boundaries as we create a new, higher standard, tackle the toughest challenges our industry faces and shape the future of health care.
Drug spend managed
2021 $37.4 billion
2022 $36.7 billion (estimated)
Annual claim volume
2021 398 million
2022 424 million (estimated)
Together, we’re so much greater than the sum of our parts,
delivering exponentially more value to the clients and people we serve, including:
- Best-in-class pharmacy benefit products and benefits of scale
- Market-leading specialty pharmacy solutions and clinical programs
- Depth and breadth of Medicare and Medicaid expertise
- Member engagement and a patient-centric approach to health care
What we do differently is only possible because of how we do things differently. We know a strong foundation is at the core of achieving our ambitions.
As a privately held company, we don’t report to shareholders or Wall Street, which allows us to align our goals with our clients’ goals and do what’s best for the people we serve, helping to contain costs, improve the experience and drive positive health outcomes.
What’s more, we can accomplish so much more together than we can alone, so we work closely with our clients and partners across the health care continuum. We’re focused on collaboration, delivering personalized support to promote our customers’ goals and continued growth, putting their needs and people first.
Care + medicine = improved outcomes
With prescription drugs now accounting for more than 30% of total health care costs, Prime’s role as a strategic partner has never been more tangible or important. What’s more, Prime provides members with a holistic care journey, integrating providers, patients and channels — and uncovering insights that can make people’s lives better.
- Collaborations with stakeholders like Amazon Pharmacy and Express Scripts® mean Prime clients and members get the most competitive prices available for the medicines they need.
- Clinical programs integrate data analytics with customized outreach, including personalized interventions from pharmacists, to help members and prescribers make the best drug management decisions.
- Prime uses the power of its own predictive data, combined with data from its Blue Plan partners, to create actionable insights and tackle the toughest Rx challenges, ultimately helping improve outcomes for members.
- Prime’s High Value Pharmacist pilots earned the 2021 Excellence Award from the Pharmacy Benefit Management Institute.
- Prime’s fraud, waste and abuse program saved health plan clients $285 million in 2020 and earned the #2 spot among health care companies on Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies List.”
- In 2022, Prime published its first diversity, equity and inclusion transparency report, demonstrating progress in workplace and community equity, acknowledging the meaningful steps taken and still required to achieve a more diverse, inclusive way of doing business.
- Prime’s IntegratedRx program employs a channel-independent approach to help identify solutions that drive the best financial and quality outcomes for Blue Plans and members.
Leading the way
We travel a different path than the competition and are creating a new standard for the industry
Through our member-centric, transparent, provider-aligned and data-driven view of the health care journey, Prime is leading the market in delivering holistic drug management solutions that deliver flexibility and put people first, truly meeting them where they are in their health care journey.
Locations and employees
Headquarters: Eagan, Minnesota
Regional offices: Omaha, NE; Albuquerque, NM